The objective of this course is to equip students with a practical knowledge of accounting which will enable them to use basic standard accounting techniques to account for the various events that occur in South Africa schools in order to improve the general governance of the school.
- The nature and purpose of accounting
- Business documents, recording of transactions and reconciliations
- Internal control systems and budgets
- Final accounts and adjustments
- Basic principles of business and employment taxes
- Payroll accounting
- The Auditor-General South Africa (AGSA) findings on the management of school finances
- Circular M1 of 2017 impact on management of school finances
- Basic Education Laws Amendment Bill: Forensic audits into the financial affairs if a public school, and quarterly financial reports.
A matric certificate or an equivalent National Qualifications Framework (NQF) level 4 qualification.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
Administrative staff dealing with the accounting aspects of a school, school principals, members of governing bodies of schools, parents, educators, member of local communities and staff at educational departments who have an interest in education and governance in schools and who may want to obtain a formal background to accounting procedures for governing school finances or school fund raising and spending activities.
This course will be taught by means of distance education, communication through UNISA study guides, tutorial letters, assignments and solutions, which will be supplied as the course progresses
Attendees will receive access to MyUNISA when once registration and payments have been finalised and students are issued with a student number.
Participants will subsequently gain access to AcademyOne’s state of the art e-learning platform with their own online study room with weekly video and/or podcast tutorials, downloadable PDF course notes; access to discussion forums and multi-choice practise quizzes.
Limited contact sessions will be available with industry expert guest speakers with additional telephone and online support from the course instructor for the duration of the course.
Study material, tutorials and engagement will be English.
ASSESSMENT AND COURSE ACCREDITATION
Formative assessment and examination admission will comply with UNISA’s formative assessment rules and policies. Students require a final mark of 20% to pass the course. 80% of the year mark and 90% of the mark obtained in the examination will be used to calculate the final mark obtained.
Three assignments of which two are compulsory and will contribute equally to the year mark
One three-hour examination paper
The course commences in January 2019.
- Study unit 1 Introduction to School Governance
- Study unit 2 The nature and purpose of accounting
- Study unit 3 The accounting equation
- Study unit 4 Business documents: cash transactions
- Study unit 5 The recording of cash transactions
- Study unit 6 Business documents: credit transactions
- Study unit 7 Inventory systems
- Study unit 8 Bank reconciliations
- Study unit 9 Trial Balance
- Study unit 10 Final Accounts
- Study unit 11 Internal controls
Meet your Academy One Presenter:
- Course material, + 1 x virtual classroom for exam preparation, + exam. *This fee can be paid at a discount of R 7,500 or for the full price of R 8,000 via debit order as follows, first instalment R 5,000 on registration and thereafter 2 instalments of R 1,500.
Option 2:Virtual Classroom
- Course material, + weekly virtual classrooms per study unit, + exam. *This fee can be paid at a discount of R10,500, or for the full price of R11,000 via debit order as follows, first instalment R5,000 on registration and thereafter 4 instalments of R 1,000.
Pay in full:
- Pay in full before the course starts with a credit / debit card or via eft.
- You can buy this on credit. If you pay with Mobicred, you can repay the full amount in monthly affordable instalments, instead of all at once.
- If you are new to Mobicred, inorder to pay using Mobicred you'll first need to apply for a Mobicred account.
- Your Mobicred application will be processed in 1 business day once all required documents have been submitted. We will reserve your space until the application comes back.
- Once you have a Mobicred account you can use it to pay through PayU, our payment partner, to complete your order.
- The On Credit amount shown is based on 12 monthly repayments (including interest charged at 20.50% (Annual interest subject to change) per year and excluding Mobicred's set-up and service fees). Click here to open a Mobicred account.
If you are currently employed there is always the option for the employer to pay for your course as there are various benefits to your employer. Please contact me so I can further assist you with this option by replying to the e-mail or phoning me.
If you don’t qualify for credit, you can still pay for some options over instalments via debit order only.