The course will provide the students with a thorough knowledge of local corporate law and company secretarial practices to enable them to advise and assist the management for taking appropriate and prompt decisions and carry out company secretarial work more effectively.
- Fundamental transactions, affected transactions and offers;
- market abuse with the emphasis on insider trading;
- aspects of corporate finance, including public offers, listing on the JSE, distributions, and BBBEE,
- business rescue proceedings and compromises under the Companies Act;
- corporate governance, with specific emphasis on the codified duties and liabilities of company directors in the Companies Act, as well as the company secretary, other officers, auditors, and the King Report on Corporate Governance, and specific remedies available to shareholders and others in terms of the Companies Act.
Applicants should have a relevant Bachelor’s degree (BCom or LLB) involving a study of company law or an equivalent South African National Qualifications Framework (NQF) level 7.
A working knowledge of the Companies Act will be an advantage.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
Legal advisors, accounting practitioners, auditors and company secretaries.
The course is prepared by UNISA and offered by the Southern African Institute for Business Accountant’s (SAIBA) training division, AcademyOne.
Participants will have access to AcademyOne’s state of the art e-learning platform. Each attendee will gain access to their own online study room with weekly video tutorials, downloadable PDF course notes; discussion forums and multi-choice practise quizzes. The content is divided into manageable portions for students.
Learners will also have access to telephone and online support from the instructor for the duration of the course. The dates and times to access the lecturer will be provided in the study pack.
A designated student coach and administrator will also be available on email and telephone to provide you with support during office hours.
Study material, tutorials and engagement will be English.
ASSESSMENT AND COURSE ACCREDITATION
To obtain the Unisa certificate of completion you need to submit the compulsory assignments and successfully complete the prepared University exam. Your final marks will be partially based on your assignments and exam results.
Thereafter you may decide to apply for membership to Saiba – a South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) registered professional accounting body – and partial accreditation for one of their professional designations.
The course commences in April 2018. The closing date for registration is 27 of March 2018.
- Introduction Orientation to our online campus
- Study unit 1 A general introduction to the Companies Act
- Study unit 2 Takeovers
- Study unit 3 Market abuse with the emphasis on insider trading
- Study unit 4 Share capital rules, including share buy-backs and dividends
- Study unit 5 Business rescue proceedings
- Study unit 6 Corporate governance
- Study unit 7 JSE listings
- Study unit 8 Black Economic Empowerment
Meet your Academy One Presenter:
- Course material, + 1 x virtual classroom for exam preparation, + exam.
- *This fee can be paid at a discount of R11,000, or for the full price of R11,200 via debit order as follows, first instalment R5,000 on registration and thereafter 4 instalments of R1,550.
Option 2:Virtual Classroom
- Course material, + weekly virtual classrooms per study unit, + exam.
- *This fee can be paid at a discount of R14,000, or for the full price of R14,300, first instalment R5,000 on registration and thereafter 6 instalments of R1,550.
Pay in full:
- Pay in full before the course starts with a credit / debit card or via eft.
- You can buy this on credit. If you pay with Mobicred, you can repay the full amount in monthly affordable instalments, instead of all at once.
- If you are new to Mobicred, inorder to pay using Mobicred you'll first need to apply for a Mobicred account.
- Your Mobicred application will be processed in 1 business day once all required documents have been submitted. We will reserve your space until the application comes back.
- Once you have a Mobicred account you can use it to pay through PayU, our payment partner, to complete your order.
- The On Credit amount shown is based on 12 monthly repayments (including interest charged at 20.50% (Annual interest subject to change) per year and excluding Mobicred's set-up and service fees). Click here to open a Mobicred account.
If you are currently employed there is always the option for the employer to pay for your course as there are various benefits to your employer. Please contact me so I can further assist you with this option by replying to the e-mail or phoning me.
If you don’t qualify for credit, you can still pay for some options over instalments via debit order only.