The ICAEW IFRSs learning and assessment programme (certificate) will give you a comprehensive overview of all current international standards in the private sector. Obtain professional recognition for your knowledge of the International Financial Reporting Standard (IFRS) from the world’s largest chartered accountant professional body, the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW). This programme is suitable for all who use or prepare financial statements.
IFRS and IFRS for SMEs differences:
IFRS for SMEs is only valid for entities conforming to the prerequisites of small and medium-sized entities. There is an official statement of the IASB, defining which entity is an SME. So the IASB classifies them as entities, “that do not have public accountability and publish general purpose financial statements for external users only.” (IFRS for SMEs 1.2)
IFRS would apply to entities having debt or equity instruments in a public market or in the process of issuing such instruments for trading in a public market (IFRS for SMEs 1.3a). But also entities holding assets in a fiduciary capacity for a broad group of outsiders as one of its primary businesses. Characteristic examples are banks, credit unions, insurance companies or investment banks (IFRS for SMEs 1.3).
- understand and apply IFRSs principles, concepts and knowledge in a commercial setting;
- assess the standards’ commercial impact on business;
- make informed business decisions;
- provide practical business advice; and
- produce and interpret financial statements and information
There is no formal admission requirement for this course.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Accountants and finance staff involved in the preparation of financial statements.
- Analysts, investors and portfolio managers.
- Regulators and standard setters.
- Students studying finance, accountancy, business and those pursuing MBAs.
- Persons that need accounting or auditing as a subject to obtain the Southern Africa Institute of Business Accountants (SAIBA) designation CBA(SA) or BAP(SA).
This course will be taught by means of distance learning and communication through study guides, tutorial letters, assignments and virtual classrooms. Participants will have access to AcademyOne’s state of the art e-learning platform. Each attendee will gain access to their own online study room with weekly tutorials, downloadable PDF course notes; discussion forums and multi-choice practise quizzes. The content is divided into manageable portions for students. The dates and times to access the lecturer will be provided in your study pack. A designated student coach and administrator will also be available on email and telephone to provide you with all the required support.
Study material, tutorials and engagement will be English.
ASSESSMENT AND COURSE ACCREDITATION
To obtain the ICAEW certificate of completion and qualify for the partial exemption for a professional accounting designation with SAIBA you need to successfully complete the ICAEW exam. There are no assignments for this course and your final mark is based on your exam results. Thereafter you may decide to apply for membership to Saiba – a South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) registered professional accounting body – and partial accreditation for one of their professional designations.
The course commences in September 2018. The closing date for registration is 31 August 2018.
- Module 1: Financial Reporting Context
- Module 2: Conceptual Framework for Financial Reporting
- Module 3: IAS 1 Presentation of Financial Statements
- Module 4: IAS 16 Property, Plant and Equipment
- Module 5: IAS 23 Borrowing Costs
- Module 6: IAS 40 Investment Property
- Module 7: IAS 38 Intangible Assets
- Module 8: IAS 36 Impairment of Assets
- Module 9: IFRS 6 Exploration for and Evaluation of Mineral Resources
- Module 10: Financial Instruments (IAS 32, IAS 39, IFRS 7 and IFRS 9) and IFRS 13 Fair Value Measurement
- Module 11: IAS 17 Leases
- Module 12: IAS 27 Separate Financial Statements, IFRS 10 Consolidated Financial Statements and IFRS 12 Disclosure of Interests in Other Entities
- Module 13: IFRS 3 Business Combinations
- Module 14: IFRS 11 Joint Arrangements
- Module 15: IAS 28 Investments in Associates and Joint Ventures
- Module 16: IAS 2 Inventories
- Module 17: IFRS 5 Non-current Assets Held for Sale and Discontinued Operations
- Module 18: IAS 37 Provisions, Contingent Liabilities and Contingent Assets
- Module 19: IAS 41 Agriculture
- Module 20: IFRS 15 Revenue
- Module 21: IAS 11 Construction Contracts
- Module 22: IAS 12 Income Taxes
- Module 23: IAS 8 Accounting Policies, Changes in Accounting Estimates and Errors
- Module 24: IAS 20 Accounting for Government Grants
- Module 25: IAS 19 Employee Benefits & IFRS 2 Share-based Payment
- Module 26: IAS 10 Events after the Reporting Period
- Module 27: IAS 21 The Effects of Changes in Foreign Exchange Rates
- Module 28: IAS 7 Statement of Cash Flows
- Module 29: IFRS 8 Operating Segments
- Module 30: IAS 34 Interim Financial Reporting
- Module 31: IAS 26 Accounting and Reporting by Retirement Benefit Plans
- Module 32: IFRS 4 Insurance Contracts
- Module 33: IAS 29 Financial Reporting in Hyperinflationary Economies
- Module 34: IAS 33 Earnings per Share
- Module 35: IAS 24 Related Party Disclosures
- Module 36: IFRS 1 First-time Adoption of IFRSs
Option 1:Virtual classroom
- Includes VAT + Course material, + weekly virtual classrooms per study unit, + exam.
Pay in full:
- Pay in full before the course starts with a credit / debit card or via eft.
- You can buy this on credit. If you pay with Mobicred, you can repay the full amount in monthly affordable instalments, instead of all at once.
- If you are new to Mobicred, inorder to pay using Mobicred you'll first need to apply for a Mobicred account.
- Your Mobicred application will be processed in 1 business day once all required documents have been submitted. We will reserve your space until the application comes back.
- Once you have a Mobicred account you can use it to pay through PayU, our payment partner, to complete your order.
- The On Credit amount shown is based on 12 monthly repayments (including interest charged at 20.50% (Annual interest subject to change) per year and excluding Mobicred's set-up and service fees). Click here to open a Mobicred account.
If you are currently employed there is always the option for the employer to pay for your course as there are various benefits to your employer. Please contact me so I can further assist you with this option by replying to the e-mail or phoning me.
If you don’t qualify for credit, you can still pay for some options over instalments via debit order only.