The course focuses both on the formal systems and elements of corporate governance as well current corporate governance thinking. The course equips managers, company secretaries, directors and students in general to be aware of the linkages between corporate governance the Companies Act and King Report Corporate Governance.
- What is good corporate governance and why it is necessary;
- corporate governance challenges faced by directors;
- the legal and regulatory environment driving corporate governance;
- developing a framework of accountability;
- sustainability and triple bottom line reporting.
A matric certificate or an equivalent National Qualifications Framework (NQF) level 4 qualification.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
The course equips accountants, company secretaries and the board of directors to link corporate governance regulations of the Companies Act , the King IV Report on Corporate Governance, as well as other corporate governance policies across the globe.
The course is prepared by UNISA and offered by the Southern African Institute for Business Accountant’s (Saiba) training division, AcademyOne.
Participants will have access to AcademyOne’s state of the art e-learning platform. Each attendee will gain access to their own online study room with weekly video tutorials, downloadable PDF course notes; discussion forums and multi-choice practise quizzes. The content is divided into manageable portions for students.
Learners will also have access to telephone and online support from the instructor for the duration of the course. The dates and times to access the lecturer will be provided in the study pack.
A designated student coach and administrator will also be available on email and telephone to provide you with support during office hours.
Study material, tutorials and engagement will be English.
ASSESSMENT AND COURSE ACCREDITATION
To obtain the Unisa certificate of completion you need to submit the compulsory assignments and successfully complete the prepared University exam. Your final marks will be partially based on your assignments and exam results.
Thereafter you may decide to apply for membership to Saiba – a South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) registered professional accounting body – and partial accreditation for one of their professional designations.
The course commences in mid-February. The closing date for registration is 28 February 2018.
- Introduction Orientation to our online campus
- Study unit 1 Introduction to corporate governance
- Study unit 2 The importance of corporate governance and the South African regulatory framework
- Study unit 3 Formation, types and characteristics of companies
- Study 4 The role of shareholders in corporate governance
- Study unit 5 The role of the board of directors in corporate governance
- Study unit 6 Individual directors and corporate governance.
- Study unit 7 The duties and liabilities of directors
- Study unit 8 Reporting, auditors and risk management
- Study unit 9 Corporate social responsibility
- Study unit 10 The implementation of good corporate governance
Meet your Academy One Presenter:
- Includes VAT
- Course material, + 1 x virtual classroom for exam preparation, + exam.
Option 2:Virtual Classroom
- Included VAT
- Course material, + weekly virtual classrooms per study unit, + exam.
Pay in full:
- Pay in full before the course starts with a credit / debit card or via eft.
- You can buy this on credit. If you pay with Mobicred, you can repay the full amount in monthly affordable instalments, instead of all at once.
- If you are new to Mobicred, inorder to pay using Mobicred you'll first need to apply for a Mobicred account.
- Your Mobicred application will be processed in 1 business day once all required documents have been submitted. We will reserve your space until the application comes back.
- Once you have a Mobicred account you can use it to pay through PayU, our payment partner, to complete your order.
- The On Credit amount shown is based on 12 monthly repayments (including interest charged at 20.50% (Annual interest subject to change) per year and excluding Mobicred's set-up and service fees). Click here to open a Mobicred account.
If you are currently employed there is always the option for the employer to pay for your course as there are various benefits to your employer. Please contact me so I can further assist you with this option by replying to the e-mail or phoning me.
If you don’t qualify for credit, you can still pay for some options over instalments via debit order only.